$5 Cava Just Had To Taste It And Hot Honey!

Cava Bella Conchi

As I begin these notes, please bear in mind that we are talking about a $5 bottle of wine that normally sells for $10 to $15 per bottle.  I would be hard pressed to remember when I’ve paid only $5 for a bottle of sparkling wine.  Over the weekend I noticed this pretty label in the grocery store and decided that I could part with $5 just for curiosity. With the temperatures in the low 90’s on a lazy summer afternoon this Bella Conchi Brut Rosé Cava was non-pretentious and approachable. 70% Trepat and 30% Garnacha grapes that give this Cava raspberry and light lemony flavors.  Made in the metodo tradicional resulting in little tiny bubbles in the glass.  At the end of the day, it is good bang for the buck.

hot honey

Mike’s Hot Honey is infused with chilies and vinegar.  This honey is HOT so I would not eat it by the spoonful right out of the jar!  I did drizzle a little Hot Honey over the French double-creme soft cheese Fromager d’affinois on flatbread crackers and the honey became a delicious piquant condiment. I found this honey at the Tanglewood Kroger in Roanoke, Virginia.

What’s this cheese? Fromager d’affinois is a wonderful French innovation which looks like pudgy Brie but it’s actually much creamier. This pasteurized cheese may remind you of a triple-creme, it’s so loaded with silky fat. But that texture is achieved by “ultra filtration” which breaks down the fat molecules in the milk. In order to further disperse them through the paste.  The result is a thick, nearly whipped spread of tangy, milky goodness, with a sweetness that begs for champagne and fresh fruit.

Try the Hot Honey in this lovely cocktail:

“Sometimes in the Morning” or afternoon cocktail by @lindseyjeanie Starflower-infused gin, muddled ‪#‎strawberries‬, ‪#‎mikeshothoney‬ & champagne. ‪#‎daydrinking‬

…or on pizza, ribs and even ice cream!

virginiabloggers11

Please follow me on my Facebook page:  BubblyBee

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “$5 Cava Just Had To Taste It And Hot Honey!

1. Tiny June 27, 2016 at 5:48 pm Reply

All over that! Plus I really want to try that honey and cheese. Cheers Miss Becky.

Sent from my iPhone

2. kathy mitchell June 27, 2016 at 5:49 pm Reply

gotta try it! Looks like a great deck wine 🙂

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:29:36 +0000
    To: piperlady@hotmail.com

3. Nancy V. Dye June 27, 2016 at 6:09 pm Reply

You are amazing!

4. Rosalee Kaplan June 27, 2016 at 6:09 pm Reply

It was a truly delicious combination of soft creamy cheese with an added sweet “kick” to it. I’m not a person who likes things really hot but I couldn’t resist this combination. Good job Becky😄

Liked by 1 person

5. Becky Ellis June 27, 2016 at 7:05 pm Reply

Thank you Rosalee!

6. beeorganizedwithpamela June 27, 2016 at 11:20 pm Reply

Will have to try this. Sounds perfect for summer. I can’t wait to try the hot honey.

7. Cindy Stanley June 27, 2016 at 11:53 pm Reply

Becky,

Hope you and Lou are doing well. May I ask where you found both of these?

Cindy

• Becky Ellis June 28, 2016 at 10:51 am Reply

Good Morning Cindy,
      Hope you are having a wonderful summer! Lou and I are having a great one…I found both of these at Kroger Tanglewood. The hot honey cost ($8) cost more than the wine ($5)! They have the cheese too in the deli cheese area and that is where they have the honey. Enjoy!

8. petra08 June 28, 2016 at 9:15 pm Reply

Hot honey?! I like the sound of the wine but the hot honey sounds amazing 🙂

9. gwingal July 6, 2016 at 4:10 pm Reply

I am so interested in the Hot Honey and most especially the cocktail made with it! 🙂 gwingal