Gloria Ferrer Glorious Bites Challenge ~ Fun Times In Washington, D.C.

in 1982, José Ferrer purchased 250 acres in Sonoma-Craneros countryside in California and opened a vineyard that he named after his wife Gloria. Gloria Ferrer is the first sparkling wine house in Sonoma-Carneros. This lovely bubbly has been my “house sparkling wine” for years, so I was very interested in creating a “glorious bite” to pair with Gloria Ferrer Brut when I noticed this challenge…

Gloria Ferrer received 1,800 entries in their Glorious Bites Challenge and 18 of those entries were selected to compete in their regional cook-offs in Los Angeles, California, Washington, D.C. and Austin, Texas.  I was honored to be among the 6 semi-finalists that competed in Washington, D. C.

My wonderfully supportive husband and I had a bubbly fun time and I look forward to sharing my experience with you in the next few posts. Spoiler alert! I did not win the regional contest but I met some fabulous new friends, dined on delicious food and enjoyed lots and LOTS of bubbly!

contest-sign-2

practice-2

Many thanks to my fabulous neighbors for tasting my “Gloriafied Crab Appetizer” prior to the Washington, D.C. event.

cdp-2

The evening before we left for D.C. we decided to relax, get me out of the kitchen and enjoy some grilled spareribs with a nice  Châteauneuf-du-Pape. The smokey black cherry notes of the wine pair perfectly with the charcoal grilled flavor of the ribs.

biscuit-2

On Wednesday morning, on our way to D.C., we stopped by the Scratch Biscuit Company, Memorial Avenue (Grandin Village) Roanoke, Virginia, for a breakfast biscuit…yum! These are “cat’s heads biscuits”…flaky, good size and very delicious down home southern flavor! (Traditionally cat’s heads biscuits are called thus because they are as big as a cat’s head!)

champagne-before-dinner

We arrived at our hotel in Alexandria, Virginia and decided to enjoy a “before dinner toast” with Yann Alexandre Champagne. Well balanced with a fine bead, notes of toast and delicate pear. Fabulous way to begin the evening…

cheese-store-duck-proscuitto-2duck-proscuitto-fromage-restaurant

We stayed in Alexandria, Virginia and enjoyed noshing on charcuterie ~ house-made duck prosciutto, chutney, figs and house-made crackers at the La Fromagerie restaurant.

cheese-store-rose-2

Domaine Terre de Mistra Rosé.  35% Syrah, 50% Grenanche, 15% Rolle grapes in this French Provence Rosé was a refreshing pairing with the  charcuterie.

fromage-restaurant

I was looking forward to the Gloria Ferrer Glorious Bites cook-off event and decided no matter what the outcome, I would…

bee-happy

I’ll publish more details about this fabulous adventure soon… including the recipe for my Glorious Bites entry:  “Gloriafied Crab Appetizer”.

Please visit my Facebook Page:  Bubblybee

fiesta-friday-2016

virginiabloggers11

Tagged: , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Gloria Ferrer Glorious Bites Challenge ~ Fun Times In Washington, D.C.

1. Judy Gearing September 26, 2016 at 9:54 pm Reply

Hi Becky! Just finished reading your very intriguing post today about your semi-finalist status with the Glorious Bites Challenge!  Congratulations!  Your entry looked marvelous!!  I can’t wait to read more about this!  When was this?  It sounded just fabulous!!

• Becky Ellis September 26, 2016 at 9:59 pm Reply

Hi Judy,
      We just got back on Saturday. It was pretty quick turnaround between the time they notified me and the actual event. I was going to tell you about it at church on Sunday, but we were both so pooped we slept late. It was a whirlwind trip, so much fun…met wonderful people and learned a lot…and drank lots of bubbly! Looking forward to sharing stories and photos with you when we get together.

2. Christina Nifong September 27, 2016 at 12:19 am Reply

Congrats! This is great!!

3. Rosalee Kaplan September 27, 2016 at 12:36 pm Reply

It sounds like a whirlwind trip but so much fun. Your gloriafied crab bites look beautiful and I bet they taste even better. Lucky neighbors to get to act as tasters. How exciting to go all the way to the top six! Go for it again next year, my friend. Looking forward to hearing more about the trip and enjoyed hearing the details of this contest.

4. Kari @The He Said She Said Experience September 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm Reply

How fun! And Scratch Biscuits looks amazing!

5. Liz @ I Heart Vegetables October 1, 2016 at 2:30 am Reply

Wow I can’t wait to hear more details! That sounds like so much fun!

6. mysideof50 October 3, 2016 at 3:28 am Reply

Wow – what an honor to be a finalist. Can’t wait to hear about the event itself. Will you be sharing your recipe? That charcuterie looks marvelous! And the biscuit too. Thanks for sharing with #overthemoon

• Becky Ellis October 7, 2016 at 12:23 pm Reply

Thank you! I will share my appetizer recipe in the next #overthemoon party. Happy weekend!