Placomusophilia: A Hobby that Could Really Use a New Name

A fun read about champagne caps. I’ve been collecting these for years but never knew there is a name for that: placomusophile!

The Armchair Sommelier

Placomusophilia sounds like something that requires a course of antibiotics to clear up.  It’s actually a hobby — collecting the colorful, unique metal caps found on the tops of Champagne and other sparkling wine corks.  But the word, placomusophilia, makes me cringe.  And calling myself a placomusophile just sounds, well, sketchy.

-champagne-0033aa-lot-n17005Placomusophilia comes from the French words plaque, for plate, and muselet, which is the wire basket that holds a sparkling wine cork in place.  Invented by Adolphe Jacquesson (of Jacquesson & Fils) in 1844, the the muselet is a very important piece of wine gear. Prior to the muselet, corks were held in place with hemp twine and wax, which turned out to be rather unstable.  Corks had a habit of flying out of bottles willy-nilly.  This was somewhat problematic, because when a cork flies out of a Champagne bottle, it can reach speeds of up to 50 miles per hour.  If…

View original post 687 more words

Please share your comments here...they make my day!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: